THE TRUTH IS, our teeth are amazing! Without them we wouldn’t be able to speak, eat, sing, or smile properly. We’d like to celebrate our teeth by sharing some interesting dental facts you may not have known! Here Are 10 Fun Dental Facts
- If you’ve been using floss daily, by the end of the year the total length will be the perimeter of a baseball diamond! Is your floss going to make it to home plate?
- Because birds lack teeth, many swallow stones or grits to aid in breaking up hard foods.
- On average, women smile 62 times a day and men only eight times a day. Step it up, guys!
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- Only 40 percent of young people age six to 19 have had cavities in their life. That’s down from 50 percent a decade ago!
- In the middle ages, people thought that a dog’s tooth boiled in wine made an excellent mouth rinse to prevent tooth decay. Tasty!
- The Egyptian plover, also known as the crocodile bird, is famous for flying into crocodile mouths and cleaning their teeth.
- Prior to the 1850s, ‘toothpastes’ were usually powders and contained soap and chalk.
- An obscure law in Vermont states that it is illegal for women to wear false teeth without the written permission of their husband. Crazy!
- Different animals have different amounts of teeth; armadillos have 104, pigs have 44, and humans have 32.
As you can see, teeth are amazing. But for various reasons, people may experience tooth loss. If you have missing teeth, we are here to help!
The number one leading cause of tooth loss in American adults is gum disease. Tooth loss can have devastating effects on your quality of life. Missing teeth can make chewing difficult and can significantly alter your appearance and self-image. Luckily, Joseph R. Nemeth DDS & Associates can provide patients with missing teeth a solution that is built to last a lifetime with dental implants.
Dental implants provide a permanent solution to individual missing teeth, perhaps caused by tooth extraction or decay. They can also be used to stabilize dentures instead of pastes and adhesives, giving you a stable bite while promoting bone retention.
Dental implants can help patients with missing teeth achieve a healthier mouth and improved appearance. Please call 248-357-3100 to schedule a dental implant consultation today.